New Building Update as of Nov. 2017
Our Library Building Committee has been hard at work on the new facility. The committee has expanded this year and made significant progress. Here’s an overview:
Progress on Project Design
- Hired Dennis Humphries of Humphries Poli Architects to provide design services. Dennis has designed and built over 40 beautiful and successful libraries of all sizes.
- Selected Fransen Pittman Contractors to use the Construction Manager at Risk (CM@R) model for project delivery. Once final design is approved and costed, the CM@R is held to the guaranteed maximum price (GMP).
- Hosted two Open Houses to get input on various aspects of the project; many ideas from these sessions were incorporated into the current iteration of the design and were used for insight into community priorities.
- Entered the PCDC process in early November. The project will now undergo review & revision as necessary for applicable guidelines, codes, setbacks, studies, and fees. Expect at least one more (maybe even two or three) iterations as we go through this process.
- Hired Group 14 to manage our Green Globes High-Performance/Sustainability Building certification and commissioning.
Progress on Cost-Modeling
We are currently (Nov. 2017) modeling for building and running a 6,500 square foot facility.
Hard construction costs are coming in at just over $300 per square feet (average for libraries). Total project costs of $3.3 million include:
- The building itself, sidewalks, landscape, exterior features, new parking lot
- Applicable fees and permits (to Town, Fire District, School District, County, State, etc.)
- Legal, project management, design, interiors, engineering, survey
- A prudent 10% ($300k) reserve for Contingency + Escalation
- FFE + I (full furnishings, fixtures, equipment + tech, and inventory)
- Projected operating costs would be just under $400,000 annually
- Estimated income in 2018 and going forward to be approximately $500,000 per year
- This revenue should provide sufficient funds to allow for increased operations, maintenance of required reserves, and debt service. We anticipate @$80k per year debt service related to the Certificate of Purchase (COPS) bonds. (See Fundraising & Financing update, below)
- The Friends of the Lyons Regional Library are our long-time supporters and continue to raise funds to help pay for materials and programs such as the Summer Library Program
- The District remains committed to no increase in the mill levy
Progress on Fundraising & Financing for the new building
(as of November 2017)
COPS bonds $1,000,000
District savings to capital fund $500,000
Foundation donations $700,000
Pending Funds (being sought, but not yet secured) _
*DOLA Grant $1,000,000
Additional grants & donations $100,000
Total project costs = $3,300,000
*We will know the actual award amount on the DOLA grant by the end of November. The feedback we got at the DOLA Hearing was that our project was “strong” — but we were also warned not to expect full funding because it is a very competitive grant cycle ($26 million in requests, but only $19 million to give out.) Depending on how much we get from DOLA, we expect to update and revise the “additional grants and donations being sought” amount in December 2017.
Progress on Schedule
At this point (Nov. 2017) we plan to break ground in late Spring 2018 and get into the new facility by very late 2018 or very early 2019.
All Library Board meetings are held at 6pm on the third Tuesday of the month at the Library, 405 Main Street, Lyons, CO 80504 unless otherwise noted. Town of Lyons Council Chambers are located at Lyons Town Hall at 432 5th Ave., Lyons, CO 80540.
- 01/05/2017 Board Study Session, 2 pm; After the study session at 3 pm the study session will become the Building Committee meeting which is also a Board Meeting.
- 01/17/2017 Board Meeting
- 01/26/2017 Special Board Meeting + Building Committee, to include an Executive Session as allowed under: 1.(§24-6-402(4)(a), C.R.S.) and 5. (§24-6-402(4)(e), C.R.S.), 9am
- CANCELED: 02/02/2017 Board Study Session, 2 pm; After the study session at 3 pm the study session will become the Building Committee meeting which is also a Board Meeting.
- 02/03/2017 Building Committee Meeting, 9am at the Commons House
- 02/07/2017 Special Board Meeting, 5pm
- CANCELLED: 02/14/2017 Special Board Meeting, 5pm
- 02/21/2017 Board Meeting, to start one hour early at 5:30 pm
- 03/02/2017 Board Study Session, 3 pm; After the study session at 4 pm the study session will become the Building Committee meeting which is also a Board Meeting.
- 03/21/2017 Board Meeting
- 04/04/2017 Building Committee Meeting which is also a Board Meeting, 11am at Town of Lyons Council Chambers
- 04/06/2017 Special Board Meeting, 2pm at the Common House; to be an Executive Session to discuss personnel matters as specified in § 24-6-402(4), C.R.S. (2007)
- 04/18/2017 Building Committee which is also a Board Meeting 11:15am, Town of Lyons Council Chambers 04/18/2017 Board Meeting
- 05/02/2017 Building Committee meeting which is also a Board meeting; 11am in Town of Lyons Council Chambers
- 05/04/17 Special Board Meeting to be an Executive Session to discuss personnel matters as specified in § 24-6-402(4), C.R.S. (2007); 8:30am
- 05/16/2017 Board Meeting
- 06/06/2017 Special Board Meeting to be an Executive Session to consider developing strategy for negotiations, instructing negotiators, and determining positions relative to matters that may be subject to negotiations, as per the Colorado Open Meetings statute (§24-6-402(4)(e), C.R.S.); 2:30 pm at 235 Park St., Lyons, CO 80540
- 06/15/2017 Building Committee/Board Meeting; 1:00pm at Lyons Town Hall.
- 06/27/2017 Board Meeting please note one week later than usual
- 07/11/2017 Building Committee which is also a Board Meeting: 10am, Lyons Valley Village, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 07/19/2017 Building Committee which is also a Board Meeting: 10am-12 noon; Crane House, 385 Vasquez Ct, Lyons
- 07/18/2017 Board Meeting
- 07/27/2017 Special Board Meeting & Public Hearing on the Amended 2017 Budget
- 08/02/2017 Building Committee which is also a Board Meeting: 10am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 08/09/2017 Building Committee which is also a Board Meeting: 10am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 08/10/2017 Board-DOLA Study Session, 3:00pm
- 08/15/2017 Board Meeting + Continuance of Public Hearing on the Amended Budget
- 08/23/2017 Building Committee Cost Modeling Workshop (which is also a Board Meeting): 8:30am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 08/24/2017 Board Meeting & Study Session, 5:00pm
- 09/05/2017 Grants/Budget Study Session, 2:30pm; Crane House, 385 Vasquez Ct, Lyons
- 09/12/2017 Building Committee (which is also a Board meeting): 10am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 09/19/2017 Board Meeting
- 10/03/2017 Board Study Session on 2018 Budget; Crane House, 385 Vasquez Ct, Lyons
- 10/10/2017 Building Committee (which is also a Board meeting): 9:30am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 10/17/2017 Board Meeting
- 10/24/2017 Building Committee (which is also a Board meeting): 9:30am, Roger’s Hall, 4th & High Street
- 10/31/2017 Building Committee (which is also a Board meeting): 10am, Lyons Valley Village Common House, 192 2nd Avenue.
- 11/03/2017 DOLA Presentation Prep meeting (which is also a Board meeting): 10am, Sanders home, 365 Vasquez Court.
- 11/07/2017 Building Committee (which is also a Board meeting): 10am, 385 Vasquez Ct, Lyons
- 11/28/2017 Board Meeting + Public Hearing on the 2018 Budget
- 12/12/2017 Board Meeting
The Lyons Regional Library District was created in September 2013 to build and operate a new library following the disastrous flood that destroyed much of the library and the Town of Lyons. On July 1, 2015, the Library officially became the Lyons Regional Library District and began to serve its expanded population. The Library District generally covers the same area as the Lyons Fire Protection District and is governed by a separate board of trustees appointed by the Town of Lyons, Boulder County and Larimer County. The Lyons Regional Library District serves people in both Boulder and Larimer counties.
All Library Board of Trustee meetings are open to the public.
Current Board Members:
Kathleen Crane, President
Lori Adams-Weaver, Vice President
Erin Biesiada, Treasurer
Darcie Sanders, Secretary
Lisa Sobeniak, Member-at-Large
Sarah Catchpole, Member-at-Large
Sandy Banta, Member-at-Large
Contact the Board by email at email@example.com or write to Lyons Regional Library District Board, PO Box 619, Lyons CO 80540.
Board Meeting Minutes
Library District Budget
Library District Annual Report
Board Policies and Procedures