The following policies are necessary for accurate tracking of library materials and to ensure fair access for all patrons. If there is a question about implementation, the Director or staff member in charge is happy to answer questions.
Due Dates and Renewals
The Lyons Community Library does not charge overdue fines. We do request that you return materials when they are due, but never stress over a day or two (or three…).
- Most library materials are loaned for a three (3) week period. Most materials automatically renew twice.
- New magazines and periodicals may be borrowed for one (1) week.
- Please note other AspenCat libraries may establish different loan periods for their materials and items received via the courier could have differing due dates.
- Items with “new” status only renew once and items with active holds will not renew.
- You will receive an email reminder two days before your items are set to renew and another when they do. Please double-check which items renewed and their new due dates.
Placing Holds on Materials
- Holds may be placed on any material available for borrowing.
- Holds may be placed in person, by telephone, or online.
- There is no charge for holds.
- Patrons will be notified by telephone or email when the hold item is available.
- Material on hold will be held for one week from the date the hold is received (or longer if a special request is made and there are no other requests for the item).
Lost or Damaged Items
Items that are lost or damaged will still incur replacement charges. Replacements will be accepted at the discretion of the staff.
We want everyone to feel good about borrowing and returning books. We understand when books are late or get damaged. Please don’t hesitate to chat with us if you have a concern about returning a book or paying fees.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Service
Most patrons can find the materials they are seeking through the AspenCat member library consortium. For items not available through AspenCat, we offer an Interlibrary Loan service. We aren’t always able to find every item but we will try!
ILL Borrowing from Other Libraries
- The Lyons Regional Library does not charge for interlibrary loan service.
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
- Interlibrary loan materials from outside the AspenCat catalog may not be renewed.
- Patrons are responsible for lost items. Charges are based on fees charged by the lending library.